Many researchers and cancer specialists believe that up to 60% of those deaths can be prevented if we adopt healthier lifestyles.
According to Rachael Stolzenberg-Solomon, a researcher at the National Cancer Institute,
“The easiest and least expensive way to reduce your risk for cancer is just by eating a healthy diet.”
1. Garlic – Garlic contains a number of compounds that can protect against cancer, especially that of the skin, colon, and lungs.
3. Grapes – Grapes (and red wine) contain the chemical resveratrol, which is a very potent antioxidant that can prevent cell damage before it begins.
4. Green Tea – The flavonoids in green tea have been shown to slow or prevent the development of several types of cancer including colon, liver, breast, and prostate.
5. Tomatoes – The compound lycopene, (which is most easily absorbed from cooked tomatoes) has been shown to prevent prostate cancer, as well as cancer of the breast, lung, and stomach.
6. Blueberries – Of all the berries, blueberries are the richest in cancer fighting compounds. They are beneficial in the prevention of all types of cancer.
8. Mushrooms – Many mushrooms contain compounds that can help the body fight cancer and build the immune system as well.
9. Cruciferous Vegetables – Vegetables such as broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, and Brussels sprouts contain strong antioxidants that may help decrease cancer risk.
10. Whole Grains – Whole grains contain a variety of anti-cancer compounds including antioxidants, fiber, and phytoestrogens. These can help decrease the risk of developing most types of cancer.
Remember, along with a healthy diet, a physically active lifestyle and low environmental toxins are important for cancer prevention.